Requirements for proper Islamic dress for a woman
Dear Brothers & Sisters,As-Salaamu-Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)
One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:
Being a Muslim Woman, how must they wear their attire to say that she is a muslim woman?
(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)
Check below answers in case you are looking for other related questions:
Scholars have specified the requirements of the Muslim-woman's proper dress before al-ajaanib (lit. foreigners, i.e., those to whom marriage is permissible) from both the Glorious Qur'aan and the sunnah. Once a woman adheres to such conditions, she can wear whatever she likes and go out into public places so far as her hijaab complies with the Islamic law. A summary of the requirements are as follows:
- It should cover the whole body.
- It should be thick enough, i.e. non-transparent or translucent.
- It should be loose and not tight on her body.
- It should not be decorated or ornate such as to attract onlookers.
- It should not be perfumed.
- It should not be considered libaas al-shuhrah.
- It should not resemble the dress of men.
- It should not resemble the dress of the unbelievers.
- It should not bear crosses or depictions of anything with a soul (humans, animals, etc).
This is a summary of the requirements according to the Islamic shari'ah. A complete answer with the major daleel for each one shall be published in shaa' Allaah.
Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allah's Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.
Recommended answers for you: