She was a Raafidi, then Allah blessed her with guidance but her family will not let her marry a Sunni man

Dear Brothers & Sisters,
As-Salaamu-Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)
One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:
I am a 32-year-old woman and I have not been married before. Now a righteous man has come to propose to me, but my family are rejecting this man because he is Sunni. Please note that my family are Shi’ah, but I have been a Sunni since a young age. Is it permissible for me to marry without the approval of my family or my mother?.
(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)
Check below answers in case you are looking for other related questions:

Praise be to Allaah.


We praise Allah for having brought you out from darkness to light and having guided you to the truth. This is a great blessing, so strive to give thanks for it by adhering to it, calling others to it and appreciating it. 


A woman does not have the right to give herself in marriage. Rather it is essential that she be given in marriage by her guardian; otherwise her marriage contract is invalid. This is the view of the majority of scholars, and indeed no difference of opinion concerning that is known among the Sahaabah (may Allah be pleased with them). 

If the situation is as you say, and there is no one of your family who is following the correct beliefs, and your family believe that the Qur'aan is distorted, that the Sahaabah are disbelievers and their imams are infallible, and they slander ‘Aa’ishah and follow other beliefs that constitute kufr, and they refuse to let you marry a righteous man who is a Sunni, then their guardianship of you is waived, because of the difference in religion between you and them on the one hand, and their preventing you from marrying a compatible suitor on the other. Either one of these reasons is sufficient to waive their guardianship of you with regard to your marriage. 

Based on that, you can get married without their consent. Refer your case to the shar’i judge so that he may arrange your marriage. If there is no shar’i judge, then a man of good character among the Muslims in your country, who has some standing and position of authority over the Muslims, may arrange your marriage. 

We have discussed that in the answer to question number 7989

And Allah knows best.

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allah's Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Related Answers:

Recommended answers for you: