Doing a second wedding party for his parents’ benefit

Dear Brothers & Sisters,
As-Salaamu-Alaikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)
One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:
I wish to marry a Muslim man, (I am a Muslim woman). We want to have a nikaah. My parents would know but his parents would not. When we have a reception next year, can we have another more public nikaah ceremony again--this time his parents would know about it. So is it possible to have 2 nikaah ceremonies or is this not allowed?
(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)
Check below answers in case you are looking for other related questions:


Praise be to Allaah.

In principle, the wedding party and waleemah should be done at the time when the groom enters upon his bride, because one of the aims of the waleemah is to publicize the marriage, as it is something legitimate that should be made known, as opposed to fornication which is done in secret and is hidden – even though nowadays some people have no shame and commit haraam deeds openly, seeing no difference between halaal and haraam (we ask Allaah to keep us safe from that). “They are like cattle, nay, even more astray” [al-A’raaf 7:179 – interpretation of the meaning]. There is nothing wrong with having a second wedding party, even after some time has passed, if there is a reason for doing so. Perhaps the person who is asking this question wants to please his parents and not make them angry. He could just inform his parents, without having a wedding party, or he could invite them for a meal without having a party as such. And Allaah is the Source of strength.

Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allah's Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.

Related Answers:

Recommended answers for you: