Check below answers in case you are looking for other related questions:

Can a father give power of attorney to a non-mahram.

Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,

As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)


One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:

Can a father give power of attorney to a non-mahram (distant relative) to act as 'wali' on his behalf in giving away his daughter in marriage?


(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)




Can father appoint a wakeel or wali

In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is none worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad (saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.


To the best of our knowledge there is absolutely nothing in Shariah which requires that one give a power of attorney or appoint a wakeel from only ones mehram relatives. The father is well within his rights to appoint any person as his proxy and act as the wali or guardian of his daughter, if he so wills to do so.


Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allahs Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me alone. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.


Your brother and well wisher in Islam,







Related Answers:

Recommended answers for you: