List of Mehram
Mu' meneen Brothers and Sisters,
As Salaam Aleikum wa Rahmatullahi wa Barakatuh. (May Allah's Peace, Mercy and Blessings be upon all of you)
One of our brothers/sisters has asked this question:
Can you give me a list of Mehrams for a Man & for a Lady - Complete list please. Is it true that the Son in Law is Non-Mehram for his Mother in Law, But is Mehram after he becomes father of his mother in law's
Daughter children, Please clarify.
(There may be some grammatical and spelling errors in the above statement. The forum does not change anything from questions, comments and statements received from our readers for circulation in confidentiality.)
List of Mehram
In the name of Allah, We praise Him, seek His help and ask for His forgiveness. Whoever Allah guides none can misguide, and whoever He allows to fall astray, none can guide them aright. We bear witness that there is no one (no idol, no person, no grave, no prophet, no imam, no dai, nobody!) worthy of worship but Allah Alone, and we bear witness that Muhammad(saws) is His slave-servant and the seal of His Messengers.
Allah says in the Holy Quran Chapter 4 Surah Nisaa verses 22-23:And do not marry at all those women whom your father had married, though what has happened in the past is excepted. This is an indecent and abominable thing and an evil practice.
Forbidden to you are your mothers, daughters, sisters, paternal aunts, maternal aunts, brothers daughters, sisters daughters, your foster mothers who have given suckle to you, your foster sisters who have taken suckle with you, the mothers of your wives, the daughters of your wives whom you have brought up, the daughters of your wives with whom you have conjugal relations, and it is not sinful for you to marry their daughters (after having divorced them). Also forbidden to you are the wives of your sons who are from your loins, and it is unlawful for you to keep two real sisters as wives at one and the same time, though what has happened in the past is excepted, for Allah is indeed Forgiving, Merciful.
Brother, I will give you a general list where almost all the mehrams are included. There are a lot of technicalities when a foster or suckle relationship is concerned, thus we will not for the moment get into those whole details and technicalities of that relationship. If you have a question regarding a particular suckle-relation is mehram or not, it would be easier if you asked us specifically.
List of Mehram of the woman:
- Father (includes grand father, great grand father, great great grand father, etc.)
- Sons (includes sonss and daughters sons, grand sons, and so on)
- Brother ( includes brothers sons, his sons, and so on)
- Sisters sons (includes sisters sons sons, his sons, and so on)
- Paternal and Maternal uncles
- Son in law
- Father in law
- step father
- step sons (includes his sons, grand sons, etc.)
- All the men who have shared the suckle of the woman she suckled with.
List of Mehram of the man:
- Mother (includes grand mother, and so on)
- Daugther (includes sons and daughters grand daughters, and so on)
- Brothers daughters (includes their daughters, grand daughters, and so on)
- Sister (includes their daughters, grand daughters, and so on)
- Paternal and Maternal aunties
- Daughter in law
- Mother in law
- Step mother
- Step daughter (includes her daughters, and so on)
- All the women who have shared the suckle of the woman she suckled with.
Your Question: Is it true that the Son in Law is Non-Mehram for his Mother in Law, But is Mehram after he becomes father of his mother in law's Daughter children
The man is a mehram of his wifes mother as soon as the nikaah is done; has absolutely no bearing with the advent of children.
Whatever written of Truth and benefit is only due to Allahs Assistance and Guidance, and whatever of error is of me. Allah Alone Knows Best and He is the Only Source of Strength.
Your Brother in Islam,